Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Adventure starts...

Well finally after 15 months of normal work I’ve found myself wondering around Europe again (yeah!) I left my gorgeous sunny home and hoped on a KLM flight bound for Amsterdam. I was pleasantly surprised when I boarded to find that I was in a rather new aircraft, equipped with personal televisions and consoles for the 10 hour trans-atlantic flight over to the OG (original gangster) civilization. I sat next to a lovely couple Terri and Ted…easy to remember as they both start with T’s, something she was very quick to point out. How I do love KLM, the food was actually good and for those of you who know I cook, good is not a term I use lightly. I proceeded to spend the next 10 hours watching numerous television episodes and two movies; Have you heard about the Morgans? And Twilight: New Moon. Don’t ask…that’s what appealed to me at the time.

Once arriving at Schiphol airport there was a quick turnaround to go through more security…what I could have picked up near the rolling carpets, I just don’t know and through customs (the part where they stamp your passport and tell you to get out before your 3 months are up or else…whoops). Schiphol is one of my favorite airports, not because I spent 28 12-hour layovers there throughout my 25 years but because it’s just plain fun. There’s a permanent annex of the city’s top art museum, it’s one of the busiest and best in the world and you can get married there…just for funsies!

Next was a quick flight, 35mins, down to Brussels on the smallest KLM plane in the fleet, the Fokker 70. No I did not make that up…seats 80 passengers and you’ve got enough time to sip water and eat your complimentary peanuts before you’re landing again. The Belgian airport leaves a lot to be desired. It’s clean…at least while you’re still in the terminal and expansive, the problem is it’s a bloody maze. I kid you not, I went through more escalators, rolling carpets, corridors , hallways and stairs than any other airport I’ve ever been too. At one point I got a little worried I had taken a wrong turn and was never going to see the light of day again! Finally I made it out the exit to the cold, crisp, smoke-filled air of Europe. Super!

No comments: