Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Egypt for the summer!

After a quick 4 days in Belgium, it was back on a plane for me and off to Egypt to visit my family. I hadn't been over since November 08 so it was high time for another visit. What can I say, other than I had an incredible time. My grandmother is so amazing and had prepared some super fantastic meals for me, all my favorites and boy did I eat well (stuffed grape leaves below). It was so lovely to catch up with both sets of grandparents and all my family. A sweet little treat was that my uncle and his partner happen to also be visiting from Paris so we got to see each other, twice in two months is real rarity in this family so it was a special treat.



My cousin Christina organized for us to get out of the heat (and man, was it hot!) and spend 3 days in an oasis not far from Cairo called Stella di Mare. It was so much fun, we went to the beach all day and hung out, smoked sheisha and partied at night. It was so nice to get out of dirty old Cairo. Of course I love to visit but believe me, as no trip is without surprise in my book, there was a severe heat wave passing through just as I arrived that had us literally on the ground panting. With temperatures as high as 57C (135F) in the sun, and lovely inventions like rolling black outs, things definitely got interesting. There was one day that the power cut out at 3pm, the hottest part of the day for 5 whole hours! That day has most certainly been placed on the what doesn't kill you.... list.
On one of my last nights in Egypt, I got invited to a really nice soiree with my uncle at a new club on the nile called Tamerai. It was to honour a family friend of ours as she stepped down as the president of the french Rotary International Club. It was really such a wonderful way to end the two weeks in Cairo and I got to see a few faces from my childhood and reconnect with people. Now it's off to Greece to play with my other cousin Elsa in the Mediterranean sun!

No comments: