Thursday, April 28, 2011

Quick Update since Summer 2010...

So after an incredible summer in Europe I headed back home to the Excited States and took to looking for a 'traditional' job. Something that would let me move into San Francisco, have dinner parties, get a dog, go out on the weekends...you know the regular old 26 year old lifestyle. Well it proved to be a lot harder than I thought. (And honestly...who are we kidding?) I did the regular job search thing, posted my resume on all the major sites, talked to recruiters, updated Linked-In, networked. But all that came my way were sales jobs, something I'm completely uninterested in! So I started doing part time stuff to keep busy and at one point had two server jobs, one at Tyler Florence's Rotisserie and Wine which was in Napa and one in Sausalito. Then I picked up a third job at TyFlo's Mill Valley Kitchen Essentials Shop and in January 2011 was working 3 part time jobs. Well that was just too much! I was able to cut out both server positions and focus on the shop. I didn't want to get back into retail but this was a great place for me, combining my passion for food and beverage with kitchen stuff! The people who worked there were so fabulous and it was so nice to be there but I wanted much much more.

I had started my application to become a Backroads Trip Leader back in 2008 when I left Montfaucon and France. However, they were on a hiring freeze and then I was in the middle of working towards getting back to Europe and missed the deadlines in 09. Thankfully this year I was keeping a close watch and worked really hard on putting a substantial application together.

After a quick phone interview mid-February, I was invited to the infamous Hiring Event. I was so nervous and excited. I don't think anything can prepare you for the intensity that ensued. On March 3rd, I went through an 8-hour interview process that included being the first to introduce myself to a room of 50 people, bike mechanics, language skills tests and guest scenarios. It was incredibly difficult to remain professional in such a familiar and exciting environment. I can't really explain it but there was this sense of energy all day, a sort of 'these are my people' feeling that many of us had. I'm so proud to say that the next day I was offered a position with a company that has won more awards and has the best reputation in an industry that I adore. As of April 25th, I'm back in Europe. On May 2nd I start a 10 day training process that will no doubt make me a better guide, leader and person. I get to live in France, a place I've always felt at home in, use my languages and be around people. This truly is a dream job!!

Follow my antics here and at my new site with hopefully more frequent posts:

http://prettyshami.posterous.com/

1 comment:

Mariette said...

Hey Nathalie,

Came across your blog today (Kate's, too) as I was looking for some Backroads insights. I'm going through the hiring process right now and would love to talk to you more about your experience.

What was the "Hiring Event" like? What was your experience working for the organization? What is the average age of the Trip Leaders? What advice do you have for someone going through the hiring process? Would you be willing to connect via email or FB? My FB profile is www.facebook.com/ms.mariette

Thanks, in advance, for your insights!